Thursday, May 28, 2009

Vista SP2

OK, so we all know that Vista SP2/Windows Server 2008 SP2 was released on 25 May, 2009 to the general public, but I've been hearing rumors that it not only works (especially regarding Vista), but it also reduces the usage of system resources by up to around 30% (again, particularly relating to Vista, not Server 2008).

Now, I've not installed it and tested this myself (as we run an exclusively Windows 7 shop here - ok, with a single Windows XP Pro box as well), but when I get the chance, I'll have a look. We've also got very few clients running Vista (most run XP Pro rather successfully), but will have a look at installing this as soon as we can if the performance improvements are anything like this.

I'll have a look into this on our Windows Server 2008 installations as well, though we're a little more wary deploying anything to a server as compared to a desktop/laptop.

It looks like Vista/Server 2008 SP2 has taken a few lessons from the Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 development teams. That can only be a good thing! :)

Regards,

The Outspoken Wookie

No comments: